Black Canyon of the Gunnison Dog Policy
Black Canyon of the Gunnison National Park is Somewhat Dog Friendly
The park protects a quarter of the Gunnison River, which slices sheer canyon walls from dark Precambrian-era rock. The canyon features some of the steepest cliffs and oldest rock in North America, and is a popular site for river rafting and rock climbing. The deep, narrow canyon is composed of gneiss and schist, which appears black when in shadow.
Black Canyon of the Gunnison National Park is somewhat dog friendly. While dogs are only allowed on a few trails, they're allowed along roads and at campgrounds while on a leash. Dogs are not allowed inside any buildings. Dogs also cannot be left unattended in vehicles.
Dogs are allowed on only a few trails at Black Canyon of the Gunnison. The trails they're allowed on are:
- Cedar Point Nature Trail
- North Rim Cashm View Nature Trail
- Rim Rock Trail
Dogs are not allowed on any other trails.
Dogs are allowed at campgrounds, as long as they're on a leash. They are not allowed at the campground amphitheater. Dogs may not be left unattended at campsites.
The following boarding services are available in the area:
- Stoney Hill Pet Lodge, 59049 Ida Rd, Olathe, CO (970) 323-5060
- Iron Will Dog Lodge, 18077 6500 Rd, Montrose, CO (970) 596-8709
- San Juan Vet Clinic, 822 Spring Creek Rd, Montrose, CO (970) 249-4490
- Pearl's Pet Lodge, 13989 6900 Rd, Montrose, CO (970) 250-8932
- Montrose Veterinary Clinic, 2260 S. Townsend Ave, Montrose, CO (970) 249-5469
- Critter Sitters and Outfitters, 98 County Road 17, Gunnison, CO (970) 641-0460
|Campground||Dogs Allowed?||# Dog Friendly Sites||Equipment|
|Black Canyon Of The Gunnison Np South Rim Campground||Yes||57||Car, Caravan/Camper Van, Pickup Camper, Pop Up, RV, Tent, Trailer||Reservations/Info|
|East Portal Campground||Yes||Info|
|North Rim Campground||Yes||Info|
|Campground details from Recreation.gov|
Location & Map
 Overview text from the Wikipedia article List of national parks of the United States, which is released under the Creative Commons Attribution-Share-Alike License 3.0.All other text and images, except where noted, copyright ASR Concepts, LLC, all rights reserved.