Black Canyon of the Gunnison Dog Policy
Black Canyon of the Gunnison National Park is Somewhat Dog Friendly
Black Canyon of the Gunnison National Park is famous for its narrow, but deep canyon carved by the Gunnison River. The rocks in the canyon largely appear black when they're not in direct sunlight. The steep cliffs here offer some great rock climbing, and there are a lot of opportunities for hiking and watersports.
Black Canyon of the Gunnison National Park is somewhat dog friendly. While dogs are only allowed on a few trails, they're allowed along roads and at campgrounds while on a leash. Dogs are not allowed inside any buildings. Dogs also cannot be left unattended in vehicles.
- Pet Policy Details
- 48 mi2
- Annual Visitors
Dogs are allowed on only a few trails at Black Canyon of the Gunnison. The trails they're allowed on are:
- Cedar Point Nature Trail
- North Rim Cashm View Nature Trail
- Rim Rock Trail
Dogs are not allowed on any other trails.
Dogs are allowed at campgrounds, as long as they're on a leash. They are not allowed at the campground amphitheater. Dogs may not be left unattended at campsites.
The following boarding services are available in the area:
- Stoney Hill Pet Lodge, 59049 Ida Rd, Olathe, CO (970) 323-5060
- Iron Will Dog Lodge, 18077 6500 Rd, Montrose, CO (970) 596-8709
- San Juan Vet Clinic, 822 Spring Creek Rd, Montrose, CO (970) 249-4490
- Pearl's Pet Lodge, 13989 6900 Rd, Montrose, CO (970) 250-8932
- Montrose Veterinary Clinic, 2260 S. Townsend Ave, Montrose, CO (970) 249-5469
- Critter Sitters and Outfitters, 98 County Road 17, Gunnison, CO (970) 641-0460
|Campground||Dogs Allowed?||# Dog Friendly Sites||Equipment|
|Black Canyon Of The Gunnison Np South Rim Campground||Yes||57||Car, Caravan/Camper Van, Pickup Camper, Pop Up, RV, Tent, Trailer||Reservations/Info|
|East Portal Campground||Yes||Info|
|North Rim Campground||Yes||Info|
|Campground details from Recreation.gov|
Location & Map
Have a photo of your dog here?
Note: Policies can change -- please make sure to check official dog/pet policies prior to making plans or booking travel.
Please tell us if you think there’s anything we should add or change on this page.