Gateway Dog Policy
Gateway National Recreation Area is Somewhat Dog Friendly
Gateway National Recreation Area encompasses the north end of Sandy Hook in New Jersey and the southern section of Breezy Point in New York City, and offers green spaces and sandy beaches.
Gateway National Recreation Area is somewhat dog friendly. Dogs are allowed on paths and sidewalks while on a leash, and they're allowed on some beaches during some time periods (see below). However, dogs are not allowed in campgrounds, and they're not allowed on the most popular beaches during the warmer months.
- Pet Policy Details
- Annual Visitors
Dogs are allowed on multi-use paths, side walks, and paved roads while on a leash no longer than 6'.
Dogs are not allowed at campgrounds.
|Camp Gateway - Sandy Hook||No||Tent||Reservations/Info|
|Camp Gateway - Staten Island||No||Tent||Reservations/Info|
|Camp Gateway- Brooklyn Ny||No||Caravan/Camper Van, Fifth Wheel, Pickup Camper, Pop Up, RV, Tent, Trailer, Vehicle||Reservations/Info|
|Campground details from Recreation.gov|
Dogs are allowed at the following beaches/timeframes while on a leash:
- Bay side beaches at Plum Island
- Bay side beaches at Horsehoe Cove (Sandy Hook)
- Ocean side beaches at Jacob Riis Park from September 16 - March 14
- Ocean side beaches at Fort Tilden from September 16 - March 14
- Breezy Point Tip beaches from September 16 - March 14
- Ocean side beaches in Sandy Hook from September 16 - March 14
- Beach at Great Kills Park between Labor Day and Memorial Day Weekend
Dogs are not allowed at the following beaches:
- Ocean side beaches at Jacob Riis Park from March 15 - September 15
- Ocean side beaches at Fort Tilden from March 15 - September 15
- Breezy Point Tip beaches from March 15 - September 15
- Ocean side beaches in Sandy Hook from March 15 - September 15
- Beach at Great Kills Park between Memorial Day Weekend and Labor Day
Location & Map
Have a photo of your dog here?
Note: Policies can change -- please make sure to check official dog/pet policies prior to making plans or booking travel.
Please tell us if you think there’s anything we should add or change on this page.