Joshua Tree Dog Policy
Joshua Tree National Park is Somewhat Dog Friendly
Covering large areas of the Colorado and Mojave Deserts and the Little San Bernardino Mountains, this desert landscape is populated by vast stands of Joshua trees. Large changes in elevation reveal various contrasting environments including bleached sand dunes, dry lakes, rugged mountains, and maze-like clusters of monzogranite monoliths.
Joshua Tree National Park is a somewhat friendly national park. While dogs are only allowed on a couple trails, they are allowed on a number of paved and unpaved roads, which can offer beautiful scenery. They're also allowed in all the many campgrounds.
It can get very hot in the park, so please make sure your dog is hydrated and does not get overheated and they do not burn their paws. Dogs are not allowed to be left unattended in vehicles.
Dogs are not allowed on most trails at Joshua Tree.
They are only allowed on the following paved trails:
- Oasis of Mara
- Keys View
Please watch out when it's hot outside -- these trails can get hot enough to burn your dog's paws.
Dogs are allowed at campgrounds on a 6' leash. Dogs cannot be left unattended in vehicles.
Dogs are allowed on paved and unpaved roads, and within 100 feet of those roads, while on a 6' leash. There are a lot of roads you can take your dogs on, and there's a lot to see.
Normal roads where dogs are allowed:
- Queen Valley Road - 2.9 miles one-way
- Stirrup Tank Road - 1.5 miles one-way
- Odell Road - 1.5 miles one-way
- Geology Tour Road - 5.4 miles one-way
- Desert Queen Mine Road - 1.2 miles one-way
- Bighorn Pass Road - 3.2 miles one-way
4-Wheel Drive / Unpaved roads:
- Covington Area Roads - 9.9 miles one-way
- Pinkham Canyon Road - 19.2 miles one-way
- Old Dale Road - 12.6 miles one-way
- Geology Tour Road beyond m 5.4 - 18 miles one-way
- Black Eagle Mine Road - 9.6 miles one-way
- Berdoo Canyon Road - 11.5 miles one-way
Location & Map
 Overview text from the Wikipedia article List of national parks of the United States, which is released under the Creative Commons Attribution-Share-Alike License 3.0.All other text and images, except where noted, copyright ASR Concepts, LLC, all rights reserved.