Pictured Rocks Dog Policy
Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore is Somewhat Dog Friendly
Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore encompasses picturesque cliffs, forests, beaches, waterfalls, and shorline on Lake Superior. The Lakeshore offers hiking, camping, watersports, and winter sports and activities.
Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore is somewhat dog friendly, because dogs aren't allowed at many areas of the park. However, there are a fair number of really nice trails, views, and beaches where dogs are allowed (see below), so this is actually a great destination to go with your dog. Dogs are also allowed at drive-in campgrounds.
Dogs are only allowed on some trails at Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore while on a leash no longer than 6'. The trails dogs are allowed on are:
- Munising Falls Trail - 800ft each way. Views of 50 foot waterfall, including multiple viewing platforms of the waterfall.
- Miners Falls Trail - 1.2 miles roundtrip. Easy walk through the forest to the falls on Miners River which are about 50 ft tall over sandstone.
- Paved Trail to Overlooks at Miners Castle - 200ft - 1300ft each way. This is the most popular part of the park, and offers great views.
- Au Sable Access Road - 3 miles roundtrip. The road is an old access road to an isolated lighthouse on Lake Superior.
- Sable Falls Trail - 0.5 miles roundtrip. Views of Sable Falls from the trail, including viewing spots.
- White Birch Trail - 2 miles. At the Twelvemile Beach Campground, it's a self guided tour that explores the history of the area.
- Grand Sable Forest Trail - 2 miles roundtrip. The trail is between the visitor center and Sable Falls parking lot, and is an easy walk through the forest and edge of old farmlands.
Dogs are allowed at all drive-in campgrounds.
|Campground||Dogs Allowed?||# Dog Friendly Sites||Equipment|
|Hurricane River Campground||Yes||22||Car, Caravan/Camper Van, Fifth Wheel, Pickup Camper, Pop Up, RV, Tent, Trailer, Vehicle||Reservations/Info|
|Little Beaver Campground||Yes||8||Car, Caravan/Camper Van, Fifth Wheel, Pickup Camper, Pop Up, RV, Tent, Trailer, Vehicle||Reservations/Info|
|Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore Backcountry Camping Permit||No||Reservations/Info|
|Twelvemile Beach Campground||Yes||36||Car, Caravan/Camper Van, Fifth Wheel, Pickup Camper, Pop Up, RV, Tent, Trailer, Vehicle||Reservations/Info|
|Campground details from Recreation.gov|
Dogs are only allowed at the following beaches:
- Sand Point Beaches
- Miners Beach
- Lake Superior Overlook and Beach
- Sable Falls Beach
- Beaches directly in front of campgrounds
Dogs are not allowed at other beaches.
Location & Map
Munising, Grand Marais
Warning: Hunting is allowed at this location. Please be aware of and familiarize yourself with hunting seasons, and exercise appropriate caution with your dog. During hunting season(s), you may also want to consider having your dog wear a blaze orange vest.
For more information on hunting seasons and policies, please see: https://www.nps.gov/piro/planyourvisit/hunting.htm
Note: Policies can change -- please make sure to check official dog/pet policies prior to making plans or booking travel.
Please tell us if you think there’s anything we should add or change on this page.